Wizarding Wireless Network

8328B34734AF41ABF4A30150B7F0203A93544E54

5378569.png

Professor Wolfe felt a shiver creep up his back as he waited by the dungeon entrance. This place had always set him on edge, even when he was a student himself. Especially when he was a student actually. The dark, musty halls had done their part in scaring a young detention-bound Adrian into better behavior. That was most of the reason he was standing here now. But he did have to admit the area still wasn't his favorite place to be. Terror had given way to mild discomfort, but it was uncomfortable nonetheless. He smiled at a few Slytherins that were heading to their common rooms, but the taps of his foot were enough to show that he was growing impatient.

There were a couple of specific students he was waiting for, but he had let the other teachers know that they send their detention earners his way if they so desired. Tonight's task was more than enough for a few sets on extra hands. As for his own attendees... he was pretty sure Axel Walkwood would show. The boy had a mischievous streak, but his antics were usually harmless and he did show a certain dedication to his classes (at least from the flying teacher's perspective). He was definitely the kind of child to earn himself detention, but didn't seem like the kind who would ditch it once it was given. If nothing else he must know the consequences for skipping it would be far greater than any task Professor Wolfe decided to assign. The other student, Aradia Warbeck, was a different story. That girl was a piece of work to say the least. Professor Wolfe tended to be pretty unbiased when it came to his students, actively trying to see the best in each and every one of them. But Ms. Warbeck made that difficult task. He didn't blame the eleven-year-old for her behavior, not entirely.  He could only imagine what sort of diamond-encrusted life had lead the young girl to be so spoiled. He hated to take on the role of disciplinarian, much preferring to be "fun teacher" most of his students knew. But it was a part of the job that must be done.

Still, he would've preferred it done sooner rather than later. He thought he had come up with a pretty good sentence that not only (loosely) related to their crime and the lesson they should have been learning, but was awful enough to deter any future misbehavior from them. He wasn't a fan of punishment as a concept, but that didn't mean he was no good at it. It wouldn't be quite so poetic for any students another teacher chose to hand over, but with any luck it would still be enough to set them on the right path. He might have to think of something else to add on if they took much longer though. They were already running late.

• Like 1
Prefect

Harvey shouldn't have gotten detention. He hadn't been making trouble this time, honest! This was totally, completely unfair. If he were to describe the moment of his downfall, he guessed it would all have to start with the Potions lecture. Potions... Harvey shook his head. He wasn't exactly bad a potions, but there was a certain monotony to their production. Something about the absolute reliance on recipes made him instantly bored. He much preferred experimentation and discovery. Hell, that was what the class was supposed to be about! Nobody remembered the little potion shop owner who followed the book and sold carefully crafted goods. No! They remembered the inventors, the failures... the people who tried and mixed new things until they managed to come up with something great! BY all means, Harvey's brazen actions that day should have been praised. He was daring to go in the direction of the greats!

Unfortunately his instructor hadn't seen it that way. A pity, really. It was crystal clear that there was something wrong with Hogwarts' disciplinary system. To use an adventurous student's experiment to blackmail him into conformity? Unacceptable! Never mind that he hadn't been dressing in the proper safety gear. Never mind the enormity of the mess he'd made. This was absolutely, completely, utterly unreasonable!

In reality, the boy really had gotten off easy. He and his confidant Edwin seemed to have an affinity for trouble, and this punishment had been a long time coming. If the teachers only knew how much they had been getting away with over the years, one night's detention would be the least of his problems. But Harvey Prewitt wasn't about to admit something like that. Not even to himself. Instead he continued to grumble about just how unfair the world was as he made his way toward the dungeon. Come to think of it... just who was this teacher he was supposed to be meeting? Professor Wolfe, right? Harvey knew who he was more from his Quidditch fame than as a teacher at the school. He'd been hired on after Harvey's first year flying course, but everyone at school knew his name and his story. Apparently he'd been in some horrible accident that made him go from Professional Sportsman to schoolteacher - a huge step down from Harvey's perspective.  But still, the dude was always smiling. It was kinda cool in a way. At the very least it would be better than having a teacher who was grumpy all the time. Maybe he'd even get lucky and this Professor Wolfe would be a big softy with an easy detention gig.

He saw the man when he reached the bottom of the stairs. Yup - still smiling. the guy did look a bit nervous, but the Hogwarts dungeons tended to have that effect on people. "Harvey Prewitt, sir!" He introduced himself with an over-dramatic bow. "Reporting for detention!"

{Gryffindor Roleplay Challenge #8}

For probably the first time since he'd come to Hogwarts, Axel wasn't walking with his head held high. He dragged his feet down the hallway, his his stride unusual broken and slow. The enormity of the situation wasn't lost on the boy, and his dread had been building throughout the day. His first detention... It was a black mark on an otherwise clean record. He was a bit of a mischief-maker in the early stages of pranksterism, but up until this point he hadn't done anything bad enough to warrant disciplinary action. He wasn't the best of students, but he didn't like to think of himself as a bad kid either. Setting aside his reliance on others to get any actual schoolwork done, he did his best to go to all of his classes, participate in the lessons, and make the best of his time at Hogwarts. But this time he'd really screwed up.

Axel paused for a moment to stare through a crystal window. He saw the Quidditch field below - the stage for his awful mistake. He didn't really regret anything he had said that day. The awful Slytherin brat had deserved far worse than anything Axel had done. He couldn't even describe how horrible she was without using harsher words than he was willing to say aloud. He had been so caught up in the moment that he'd completely lost what little sense he had. She deserved it... Of course she deserved it! But no matter how many times he told himself that, no matter how strongly he believed it, he couldn't shake the guilty feeling in his gut. Professor Wolfe had explained exactly why Axel's brazen outburst was inappropriate and he really couldn't help but agree. He'd meant to stand up for the man, but had wound up disappointing him instead. Not only that but he had inadvertently implied that the man couldn't fight his own battles.

But Axel didn't think that at all. He really admired Professor Wolfe. The ex-star had gone through far much in life: injury, tragedy... and probably things like threats and blackmail that went along with being rich and famous. His reliance on seemingly no one and his permanent smile in the face of anything were traits that Axel hoped to develop for himself someday. And he did believe he had an affinity for such things, and being independent was easy with no true possibility of finding a confidant. He was the man that Axel most dreaded to see tonight. Even more than that horrible jerk he had been sentenced with. He didn't want to see her either of course, but her stuck-up features didn't hold a candle to the disappointed look his teacher had given him.

Yet when he made it to his destination, the face that greeted him was entirely unexpected. It looked like Aradia hadn't arrived yet, but someone else had. "Harvey?" He addressed the older Gryffindor with surprise. The boy had come in his usual style of dressing, complete with cocky smile. "You're doing detention with us?"

Aradia sat on the bed in her dorm room with crossed arms and a pouting face. "I'm not going, you know! It isn't fair and I absolutely refuse." Her legs hung over the side of the green sheets, swinging pointedly back and fourth. It was a funny image- the rich pouting brat on the verge of  tantrum. But of course she didn't see it that way, and her "friends" in the dorm with her didn't dare see it that way either. She glared each of them down, daring them to oppose her. Nobody spoke. Good- that was her cue to continue the tirade. "Honestly, where does he get off giving me detention? He's lucky I'm not writing an owl to my father. He's a very powerful person, one of the wealthiest Wizards in Russia!" She addressed this bit to Jenna and Halley, who already knew full well that her father was a "very powerful person." That was why they sucked up to her in the first place, and even if that weren't the case they had heard her say it a multitude of times. They nodded along though. Halley was even brave enough to join in.

"Yeah, the only thing Wolfe has going for him is money!" The hypocrisy of this statement was lost on the air-headed henchwoman. "And that other boy! Uh...Wormworth? Waldorf?" There were too many "W" names in her grade. But she knew there was a boy Aradia had been grumbling about all day, and getting her off on a tangent was the safest way to avoid her wrath.

"Walkwood!" Aradia growled, sitting straight up on her bed. His name even tasted disgusting. "That dirty mudblood! Forget having the teacher fired, I should have daddy get him expelled!" Even the young heiress knew that Headmistress Harkiss wouldn't allow such a thing, but it was a delicious thought. She licked her lips as she imagined the boy sulking and defeated, leaving Hogwarts with packed bags. Maybe he'd even cry! No future, no friends... it was still better than what that filthy heathen deserved. Not only had he raised his voice to her, but he had insulted her family name! Her fists closed around chunks of the green fabric. She wouldn't forgive him for this. For what he said, for disrespecting her, for getting her detention. She'd ruin him. "He deserves the detention, not me!"

"Um, isn't he-"

"Who asked you!? Anyway, I told you I'm not going."

There was a moment of silence before Jenna finally managed to say something. "D-Dia? I know it's not your fault, and you know it's not your fault. But if you ditch - I mean, if you don't go to detention then they might - well -"

"Oh, spit it out Jenna!"

"They can expel you!"

That got Aradia's attention. For all her complaints, she really did like Hogwarts. It was the gathering place for all of the best young wizards, and there were so many famous people who came from here. Aradia was no doubt going to be great someday too, and even at her age she knew that graduation was a huge step toward that goal. She did rely on her family's money a lot of the time, but only because it was a tool available to her. She had ambitions of her own, and the likes of Walkwood and Wolfe were not going to ruin that for her. She jumped to her feet, causing Halley to scramble out of her way lest she be stepped on. Without another word she made her way to the front door of the common room. She was still in pajamas, but carried herself as though she were the most regal person in the world. Because she was, of course.

As the painting swung aside, she stepped out into the dungeon entrance. The others were already gathered there. "I want it known that I am here under protest!"

"Nice to meet you, Harvey!" Professor Wolfe extended his hand to the new arrival. He only vaguely knew the older Gryffindor since he hadn't had him as a first-year, but the name rang a bell in his mind. The teachers who did have fifth-year classes (and the ones who'd taught Prewitt in previous years) had brought him up in conversation quite a few times. Apparently he and his best friend were the "Weasley Twins of the modern day," a prospect that the young professor found both hilarious and intriguing. The Weasley brothers had been legends by the time Adrian had attended Hogwarts himself and the stories had only grown more and more outlandish over the years. He knew Harvey from his house of course. But aside from a brief introduction when he had become Head of House, he hadn't seen him around the common room very much. If the rumors were to be believed this was because he was always out with his friend making some form of trouble. Wolfe himself had never caught them though, and he was more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. It might actually be nice having an older student along anyway. Still, he did have to wonder what Harvey had done to earn this particular detention.

"Happy to have you along. We've got plenty of work ahead of us." By "we" and "us" he really meant the students. No way was he about to participate in this. But that verbiage was a bit more welcoming than "You're in for it, kid".

Finally Mr. Walkwood arrived on the scene. He briefly considered tearing into him for being late, but the pitiful look on the boy's face changed his mind. Poor guy really seemed to be beating himself over this. Wolfe felt rather bad about it himself considering the circumstances. When he was that age he would have reacted exactly the same way. Except he would have actually drawn his wand. But, he reasoned, it was better than he learned early how to deal properly with classroom conflicts, no matter how justified the argument may have been. He saw a lot of himself in little Axel... maybe too much if he was being brutally honest. He wanted to say something to make it easier on the kid. Not that it would make the task before them any less awful. "Ah, Mr. Walkwood. I don't believe I thanked you before, but I want you to know that I am glad you stood up for me. While I don't condone your actions, I do appreciate the sentiment behind them." Hopefully that would brighten his mood a bit.

Now the only one left to wait for was...

"I want it known that I am here under protest!"

Ah, the final victim had arrived. Aradia Warbeck had walked through the Slytherin entrance with all of her usual swagger. In this case that meant she was wearing pajamas and pouting at him like an even younger child than she actually was. Wolfe actively had to stop himself from rolling his eyes. He'd known this one would be difficult. She was here for refusing to do her work, though she had also hurled quite a few insults at the Professor during that class session. He believed that every kid had good in them, but this one... this one tested his patience.

"Protest all you want, Miss Warbeck. But you'll do as you're told. Unless you want to lose a significant number of house points?" He actually hated that form of punishment. It seemed designed to force good behavior by encouraging peer pressure. But he'd found that the simple threat of taking the points away was enough to keep most students in line.

"Now, just to double check... Is that everyone?"

Edited by Adrian Wolfe

One if Andrew's favirote places in the castle were the dungeons. It always reminded him of his childhood years. Andrew had heard a rumbling that there some sort of dention going on the dungeons and he thought he might tag along. Moving down the stairs and through the corridors of the dungeons, Andrew moved his right had along the wall the entire way. There was just something about the dark and cold walls that spoke to him.

It was then that Andrew came across the group he had been waiting for. He heard the sound of students already there, and wondered if there any first years. Probably, Andrew thought to himself it was of course detention.  "Hello Professor Wolfe, I trust you are doing well. Mind if I tag along on this adventure?" Andrew greeted and asked.

Prefect

"Hey, Professor!" Unlike Professor Wolfe, Chambers was one he had actually had a class with. He admittedly hadn't been the most attentive student in Muggle Studies, but he did rather like the old teacher. The guy really, really liked Muggles though. And he had managed to make them sound interesting, which wasn't a very common sentiment among Wizards. Harvey hadn't hated muggles or anything, and he certainly wasn't a blood purist, but before taking Muggle studies he had always considered them to be a bit basic. They were all basically like Squibs, right? Just normal people except they couldn't do any magic. But in Chambers' class he had learned that Muggles had developed all sorts of non-magical solutions that were actually very smart. It wasn't anything Harvey would want to do with his life, but it had been engaging enough to keep him in the course. Though now with OWLS coming up he was beginning to regret taking so many electives.

"And Axel, what's up dude!" He held out his hand for a high-five. Harvey had met the little Gryffindor the previous year, and after a very intense game of Wizard's chess the two had become... friends? He wasn't quite sure of the word for it. It would be weird to call a first year a friend. But the two did share a certain bond, being Gryffindor troublemakers at heart. He supposed it was more of a mentor/mentee kind of relationship. He actually kind of liked it. Axel reminded him of himself in a lot of ways, and he felt like a real man showing him all of the tips and tricks of Hogwarts. That reminded him, he still needed to talk to Edwin about sneaking the kid into Hogsmeade one of these days. Maybe he'd sign up for the mentoring program... if Professor Wolfe let him in after this.

As for the new girl, he instantly disliked her. She was exactly what he though of when complaining about "those annoying first years." Axel was cool, mostly because he was basically a younger Harvey, but first years in general were still a frustrating group. And this girl had just taken first place on the annoying list. What was her problem, anyway? Under protest? Really?  Harvey was the one who didn't deserve to be here, but he was still taking the punishment like a man. Meanwhile this pout girl shows up in pajamas declaring protest. Well, she had guts at any rate. "And who are you?," he asked.

"What exactly are we doing here anyway, Professor Wolfe?"