Welcome, Guest!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Sign in to follow this  
Adrian Wolfe

Open A Gentlemen's Meeting

BB_LeakyCauldron_tcm37-44845.jpg

5375862.png

Adrian found himself in the Leaky Cauldron once again. He hadn't necessarily intended to end up here, but here he was nonetheless. He supposed it was only natural that after a couple years of bar-hopping his mindless walks would lead him to a pub. It had been a while since he'd frequented these places (though every Wizard in London frequented the Leaky Cauldron for one reason or another), but habits were habits and it seemed they were hard to shake. First his chance meeting with the Headmistress at the Three Broomsticks and now this. Was it fate or his own mind that drew him to such places? Well, it didn't really matter at this point. It was break time, and the Headmistress himself had encouraged him to think less about work during the few weeks they had away. The former alcoholic had managed to keep himself sober while school was in session, but nothing said he couldn't have a bit of fun while on vacation.

He strode up to the bar with his usual confidence. The man always walked with his back straight and head held high, a stark contrast to the average pub goer. It was also in contrast to his attire, as when he wasn't in his formal Hogwarts garb he had a fondness for the Muggle garment known as "sweatpants." They were comfortable and warm in the frosty January weather, though they did look strange peeking out beneath his formal robes. Adrain's agent was always pestering him about the things he wore - "a celebrity must always be aware" - but he himself cared little about that. It wasn't like his rise and fall hadn't been documented anyway. He was no longer the broken man that appeared at the end of so many documentary specials, but at this point he didn't really understand why he should care. Though the money was admittedly pretty nice.

"Beetle Berry, neat." He left a few coins on the counter and settled in to one of the worn old stools. It had certainly been a while, but there was still a certain comfort to this place. Even if people were constantly in and out to Diagon Alley. It was actually not as bad with the holidays having just passed, as people were all shopped out for the most part. He settled down for a peaceful drink.

Andrew was known for spending his time only at Hogwarts and his home since he was getting older with age. But today, today he needed a change. Andrew in a quick decision decided maybe he could spend some time at The Leaky Cauldron. After apperating into Diagon Alley, Andrew made his way to the street entrance at the back of The Leaky Cauldron. Walking through the archway he let out a sigh, it was no or never.

Entering the bar he took a quick glance around. There were people here and there but it was not crowded. Thank goodnessAndrew though. He made his was up to the bar and sat down at a bar stool a few seats down from another wizard. The other wizard looked familiar but he could not place where he knew him from."I'll take a Blishen's Firewhisky on the rocks, please." Andrew asked the bartender. Andrew then waited, trying not to get too stuck in his own thoughts.

Adrian looked up from his Beetle Berry at the sound of a familiar voice. It wasn't super familiar, as in he didn't know who it belonged to from merely listening, but it was one he had definitely heard before. A quick scan of the room was enough to identify the source. The kindly old Muggle Studies professor had made his way up to the bar. That man had been working at Hogwarts longer than Adrian, but the two had never had a proper conversation. Muggle Studies, after all, was an elective. None of his fliers were old enough to start picking their classes, so they were rarely in the same place at the same time. He'd seen him around the Great Hall though. He was tall and bald with a face that spoke of endless experience. Not the sort of man one expects to find drinking alone. Then again, nobody expected to find Adrian Wolfe drinking alone either.

He stood up and walked back to the counter, interrupting his coworker before he could play. "Please," he dropped a few more coins on the table. "Allow me." Professor Wolfe had a certain respect for the man despite their lack of connection. He was his senior, and far more experienced both in life and in teaching. The least he could do was buy the guy a drink. "It's nice to see you, Professor Chambers. Though I must say it's a bit of a surprise. What brings you to the Leaky Cauldron?"

Andrew had just finished asking the bartender for his drink when the man from down the bar interrupted and [aid before he could even fish some Galleons out of his pocket. "That is extremely kind of you, I insist I get your next one if you have another another one." Andrew confirmed, he was not used to being treated in this way, flying under the radar usually meant to being seen. It was then when the man greeted him as Professor Chambers did he recognize the man. Professor Wolfe, the Professor Wolfe. How had he not realized it before! "Please, call me Andrew Professor Wolfe. It's a pleasure to see you as well. I don't usually make it out of the castle much." Andrew smiled, light heartily. "I guess, I just needed a change of scenery. How about you, what brings you to the leaky cauldron?" Andrew replied.

Adrian paused for a moment. He wasn't sure how much of his old life was really appropriate to share with a coworker. Though he was not a man of many secrets, he did have certain reservations when talking about his past. Mostly he just didn't want to turn people off by coming across as self-pitying. He hadn't left the castle much himself this winter. A quick and unpleasant visit to the family and the occasional trip for some promotion deal or other, sure. But he had spent most of his time in his boarding room at Hogwarts. There were lesson plans to write and Head of House duties to fulfill after all. On top f that, he really wasn't sure what had brought him to this place.

"Force of habit, I suppose." He smiled wryly. "Not that I'm a drunkard, mind you. Not anymore. I definitely understand how you feel though. I sometimes forget there's a world outside of Hogwarts."

Andrew paused, there was something that he felt he could connect with. "I would never think of you as a drunkard Professor Wolfe." Andrew reassured him. "Oh I am right there with you, Hogwarts is my safe zone per say. Ever since my dear Alexandria ..." Andrew trailed off, trying not to show his sorrow. He had been trying to work on this, but sometimes he could not help and still feel the pain. "It's been hard to venture out. I like my routine at Hogwarts." Andrew replied and took a sip of his drink the bartender had brought over. "Moving on to brighter things, how are you enjoying teaching?" Andrew smiled.

"You'd be surprised." The professor chuckled. It wasn't all that long ago that Wolfe frequented places like this. Of course, the Leaky Cauldron was about the least shady of the places he'd used to frequent. "I do love the school. Saved my life, if I'm being honest. And teaching..." His eyes caught a dreamy glint. "Best profession in the world!" Once upon a time he would have said his old job was best. Indeed, a part of him still believed that. But there was something so exciting about watching a child mount a broom for the first time. Seeing the awe in their eyes when their world-famous teacher showed them a new trick. It was difficult at times, but perhaps with the exception of playing professionally, it was the best job he could think of. "Though it is nice to have a break once in a while. First years can be a bit... well, you know."

Adrian was puzzled at his coworker's downcast gaze. He rarely left the castle because he had few other places to go, but Professor Chambers... Well, come to think of it he didn't know much about the man. He had mentioned a name - "Alexandria". A lost love, perhaps? Someone close to him at any rate. "Not to pry, but if there's anything bothering you I've been told I can be a good listener." In truth he was a better talker than he was a listener, but he hoped a voluntary ear would be encouraging.

"I'm rarely surprised, due to my age." Andrew gestured to himself and chuckled. He knew exactly what Professor Wolf was feeling. "Teaching truly is the best, but yes first years can be rather ... annoying at times. You did not hear that from me," Andrew said, "That's why it is sometimes nice to each an elective course." he confessed. Teaching truly saved his life and helped him to process the world after Patricia. 

Andrew instantly straightened up when the man mentioned there might be something bothering him. In truth something was always bothering him. "Nothing more than the usual, I do not think I have truly gotten finished processing the passing on my wife. It happened sometime ago, but everyday is a challenge." Andrew opened up. He had never really been afraid to think about her death figuratively, but now it seemed even more real saying it out loud. 

"I don't want to drag down the mood the night." Andre's waved. 

• Like 1

So it was a lost love. Adrian had to wonder what that must be like. The saying did go "better to have loved and lost", but judging by the toll it was taking on Chambers, that didn't seem a safe assumption to make. He had been in love himself once - or at least that's what he'd thought it was. He wasn't quite so trusting with romance these days. He didn't know well enough what his coworker's "usual" was, but it seemed like this was really getting to him. Perhaps if Wolfe opened up about his past experiences, it might ease the heavyness the conversation was bringing to the room. Or at the very least make his senior feel a bit more comfortable.

"Oh, I wouldn't worry about bringing down the mood." He assured him. Adrian realized that he hadn't had a serious conversation in at least a year. He was usually the one keeping everything light and fun, but a change might actually be nice. Or maybe the alcohol was just starting to kick in. "I must say, I've never experienced anything that could quite compare. I did have a love once - Alexis, beautiful girl. Put all the stars in my eyes, you know? We were engaged to be married and everything. But after the accident..." His hand twitched as though responding to the memory. "Well, she wasn't who I thought she was. To have a real, true love... I can't say I know what that's like."

"You don't have to tell me anything if you don't want to of course, but I am curious. The way you talk about about this woman, she must have been truly amazing. Your wife... what was she like?

Sign in to follow this  

Wizarding Wireless Network Chat

Wizarding Wireless Network Chat

Please enter your display name

Wizarding Wireless Network

We're glad to see you've found us! Feel free to look around and ask questions. Hope to see you around the forums soon.