Welcome, Guest!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Sign in to follow this  
Rosalyn Harkiss

Open Hot Butterbeer and Snow

latest?cb=20161220001627

Rosalyn hadn't gotten out of Hogwarts much. The school year was always busy and a headmistress always had something to do around the castle. During break, however, when the kids were, mostly, home and the classes were on hiatus, Rosalyn had little to do. With her free time she had decided to make her way to Hogsmeade village. The taverns there were always so warm and inviting at this time of year. The smell of fires wafting through the air and all the decorations surrounding the village made it look like something out of a Christmas catalog. With so much festivity, it was begging to be visited and Rosalyn was more than happy to oblige.

While she was hardly anonymous--the head of Hogwarts had always been a highly respected position in the community--Rosalyn was more free to move about the village than she was on castle grounds. While on campus, teachers and students often stopped her to chat about events within the school. At Hogsmeade it was usually just a friendly hello, but far fewer attempted to stop her for conversation. She was free to explore and to take things in. Even more, she was able to partake in the festivities!

Rosalyn made her way to the Three Broomsticks. It was a pub that had operated in Hogsmeade for as long as she could remember. And though the proprietor was rarely seen these days--being over 100 now--it still kept the same warmth and comfort it had in her youth. Rosalyn breathed in the scent of hot butterbeer and soups cooking over the fire. "Good to be back."

Adrian sat at his usual table, nursing a pint of whatever the latest draft was. He hadn't bothered to ask for the name. It wasn't likely he'd remember it anyway, and even less likely he'd be back here before it cycled through to another. It struck him as funny that he still had a "usual table" after all this time. The bartender had even remembered his name. Back in the day, Adrian had spent many nights in this place. He had been in a bad place then... Thinking about it now was a bit embarrassing. Through for every depressing memory the aroma of the room brought to mind, thoughts of pleasant and mindless fun  easily followed.

The scene of the young professor in the corner was at once familiar and entirely new to the staff and some frequent patrons. Though he was in the same spot performing the same action, his demeanor was entirely different. The once slumped and broken man now sat with a cocky smile. His eyes glowed with a different brightness as they scanned the room. The place struck him in the same way he did to it - familiar yet strange. He hadn't been back for fear of slipping into old ways, but it seemed a far more cheerful place than the Three Broomsticks of his memories. Perhaps it was simply holiday cheer, but the various patrons seemed happier somehow. There was a young couple chatting a few tables away, some boys singing an old drinking tune, and... someone he recognized.

The Hogwarts Headmistress entered the Tavern. Adrian knew her, though not on a personal level. He was eternally grateful to her, however. The position he had been offered at Hogwarts had saved his life. It was this opportunity that had changed him so dramatically. Unsure how she would react to him addressing her outside of school, he simply raised his glass in her direction, hoping to catch her attention. He couldn't be sure if she'd spotted him, but he made a Cheers! motion.

The tavern had always been a haven of sorts when Roz was a student. It provided a source of entertainment and sustenance. Now as an adult it was nostalgic. There had been no real goal in her choosing this place to visit. It was simply the first place she had thought of when she entered the village. Now that she was in it, she wasn't really certain what to do. Glancing around the room, Roz recognized a familiar face and his greeting. "Professor Wolfe." Rosalyn grinned. "It's good to see you out of the castle. Enjoying the break?" Making a gesture to imply that she would join him momentarily, the headmistress stepped up to the bar and ordered herself a bowl of whatever soup of the day was being offered.

Letting the bartender know where she would be, she made her way over to the corner. "Not feeling social? Or force of habit?" Roz quirked a brow inquisitively. The entirety of the Hogwarts staff had turned over in recent years. Few faces remained from when she was a student, and even the people she had hired she didn't recognize from her time there--neither as students nor staff. Still, she was fairly young for a Headmistress, though she suspected a bit of favoritism had taken place in her being the choice for Headmistress. Every headmaster for the last several years had been a Gryffindor.

Grinning slightly, she looked at him. "You know, it's a little odd to know that a former student now has my old job. Makes me feel a lot older than I am." Rosalyn had been the Care of Magical Creatures professor for the last 12 years since Rubeus Hagrid had retired, and Head of Gryffindor 8 years ago before passing the title along to Adrian when he was ready. While Adrian hadn't been a student at Hogwarts for at least 7 years now, he had been around to remember her early years as a professor on the staff. She had been his head of house for his final year. And now he was all grown up, teaching--at her request. When Rosalyn had heard the news that he had been injured, and she knew the position had been vacated at Hogwarts for the Flying instructor, she recommended to the former Headmaster that they consider Adrian. Her predecessor was, of course, Professor Longbottom. Perhaps she had shared the same bias that Professor Longbottom had held for her, but she didn't think so. She remembered what Adrian had been like on a broom in his Hogwarts years. He had been a fantastic flier. All she had done was ensure an offer was extended, he still had to pass the interview and accept it.

The Headmistress did indeed notice him, a fact for which he was glad. It would have been a bit awkward, motioning at her only to be rejected or ignored. Even though nobody was watching, the ex-celebrity still had some pride left in him which he preferred to keep intact. "Enjoying the break?" she asked as she went up to the counter to order. He nodded, having little time for a verbal response. Though "break" may not have been an accurate description in this case. The young professor had thrown himself wholeheartedly into his work throughout the year, and had continued to do so over his so-called "break." This was due in part to his love for the job, and in part to the fact that he really hadn't anywhere else to go. Adrian had few non-work contacts despite his constant friendliness, and as for his family... Well, he had visited for the holidays, but things were rather strained. He unconsciously flexed his injured hand. He did not have to ponder the situation much longer though, as the Headmistress took a seat across from him.

"Not feeling social?" she inquired, "Or force of habit?" It took him a second to realize what she meant. The extroverted professor was always feeling social. Yet here he was, at least until moments before, sitting by himself in the corner of a tavern. A very antisocial move for a socialite - an easy assumption to make.

"Ah, just an old routine," he chuckled. "I used to come here a lot back in the day. Before I was hired of course! You don't have a drunkard for a professor, I assure you!" Much as he was thrilled for the company, Ms. Harkiss was still his boss. Best to breeze past any discussion of his flaws. Though he realized it was true. He had barely drank -and certainly never gotten drunk- since he had dedicated himself to his work at Hogwarts. Truly a different man than back in the day.

Speaking of "back in the day", his employer had moved on to a different topic. "You know, it's a little odd to know that a former student now has my old job. Makes me feel a lot older than I am."

It was true that the headmistress was young, extremely young for her position. Beautiful too, which couldn't hurt the school's public relations. Perhaps her youth and beauty had played into her appointment - having a charming young woman at the helmet definitely had it's advantages- or perhaps it hadn't. Either way, he had every confidence in her ability. As his teacher she had stood out among the best, and so far she had been thoroughly competent as an employer. On top of that, though she did not know it, she had given him a chance when few others were willing. Young or not she deserved ample respect. Besides, is Rosalyn Harkiss was young for a Headmistress, then Adrian Wolfe was a baby professor by comparison.

Adrian grinned back at her with his usual broad smile. "I suppose it's a little weird. If I had known how rough the job was, I might not have been such a little punk!" "Punk" was a bit of an overstatement, as Adrian had generally been a decent student. But he had also been a teenage boy, a popular one with a vast array of friends who could easily drag him into their mischief. While he hadn't been a rebel, he knew he must not have been the easiest student to deal with either. "I love 'em to death though, the good ones and the rebels. I never thought I'd be a teacher, but..." He stopped himself. "Oh, I'm sorry! I'm sure the last thing you want to talk about on your time off is Hogwarts!" He wracked his brain for a new subject, but what came out sounded a bit lame. "So... how has your break been?

It wasn't long before the food and beverage were delivered to t he table. They smelled far more enticing than anything else offered in the tavern. "I remember." Roz chuckled as she began to sip on the Butterbeer. "You and a few others. I think the quidditch team, but I can't remember for sure. That was much longer ago than I would care to admit." She found it hilarious that she still seemed to have the effect on him as his boss that she had when she was his head of house. He's nervous. There was no real reason for it other than the difference of power, she was sure. "You can relax, you know. If I thought you were incompetent I wouldn't have hired you." She winked at him playfully. "I'm not that reckless." 

"Comparatively you weren't so bad." Rosalyn chuckled. In all honesty, Adrian hadn't been a bad student. Perhaps a little headstrong and easily lead astray by the ones who were a bit more careless, but not bad. "I could give you a few names of students I wouldn't want back at Hogwarts though." She chuckled and sipped a bit more of the Butterbeer. There  had been several students over the years who had managed to test Rosalyn's limited patience. While she had a love for teaching, she was fairly temperamental and didn't enjoy her role as a disciplinarian when the students decided to misbehave. "Only had to remind you to stay out of the Forbidden Forest once."

She was glad that Adrian loved his job, but she was also grateful when he changed the subject. It was true that she would rather talk about just about anything than school right now. "Relaxing. Have a moment to myself for the first time since September." She grinned. "Though I was getting a little stir-crazy in the castle. I'm not really one to sit still for long, you know. How about you? Anything interesting going on?"

It was a relief to know that she thought he did good work. Of course he thought he did good work, but confirmation from others was always a plus. She must have noticed that he didn't quite know how to speak to her. The young professor never knew how to speak to authorities. Not nervous exactly, more... awkward? Now, that was somewhat hilarious. Adrian Wolfe had never been called "awkward" in his life. Though her casual demeanor was definitely helping. It felt less like talking to a boss and more like a casual conversation with a peer. "Glad to hear it!" he declared with a smile.

Though he was a bit more relaxed, he did find himself at a loss for words. What did one talk about with other Hogwarts staff that didn't involve Hogwarts? Funny, he was normally quite good at talking to people. But when the main subject that had consumed his life for the past year was off-limits... What had he done, really?

"Oh, well..." he laughed a bit sheepishly. "Nothing really outside of work. Cleansweep wants me to do a commercial their new model, but I haven't' signed any contract yet." The former star still got quite a bit of attention from his professional Quidditch career. News interviews, product offers, that sort of thing. He was hoping to get some new brooms for his class out of this particular deal, but he wasn't directly involved. Wolfe had never been the type to crunch numbers. If he did his own negotiating he would no doubt have gone broke long ago. Thankfully he had an accountant for that - a brilliant girl he had met back in his school days. If he asked for something, she could usually get it and more out of the deal. Of course, he payed her quite well for it. He thought of mentioning the new brooms he was hoping for to the Headmistress, but decided against it. He didn't want to make any promises he wasn't sure he could keep.

"It is nice to have some alone time. Went to visit family for a bit... that went well" he said in a tone that was still lighthearted and joking, but made it clear that the trip hadn't actually gone well. "Hence the drinking, if you know what I mean." He hoped she would tell him a bit about her own family, as he didn't know the woman very well. Such subjects could be sensitive though, so he made sure to leave it very open-ended.

Sign in to follow this  

Wizarding Wireless Network Chat

Wizarding Wireless Network Chat

Please enter your display name

Wizarding Wireless Network

We're glad to see you've found us! Feel free to look around and ask questions. Hope to see you around the forums soon.